1) The city of Kiryat Malachi continues to upgrade the way the city looks. We see street sweepers at least twice a week go by our apartment.
The roundabout at the intersection of Ben Gurion and Jabotinsky really looks lovely, with a mature olive tree in the center and a bubbling fountain too.
There are signs of construction in town:
2) We are amazed at the building of new roads and improving old ones. We found out that one reason there is a huge push to improve roads in the south of the country is that the army will be moving its basic training location from the center of the country and some parts further north to the south, in the greater Beersheva area.
|Expanding road outsdide of Beersheva|
There is a new train line that will go to Beersheva and a lot of improvement is going into the roads there. Highway 6, the toll road, last year opened its branch from the Ashdod/Ashkelon exit southward. There is no toll on that part of the highway as the government built it and not private industry as the volume might not have been big enough for profit, but it was needed because of the army shift and to encourage more people to move into that area.
3) This past week, Israelis were shocked by the deaths of 4 pilots and 3 other air force officers in helicopter training exercise in Romania. http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3927326,00.html The helicopter is huge, and could carry 50, but they only allow up to 20 in one after 50+ were killed years ago in a training exercise. After the names of the dead were announced, the daily national newspaper Maariv dedicated one page for each of those who died in the crash.
4) Some of the people who left Gush Katif and moved into temporary housing 5 years ago north of Ashkelon are now moving into their permanent homes. We visited with the librarian at Nitzan, Ayala.
|Ayala on right at work|
|Ayala in her new kitchen|
5) Here are a few signs that we would not see in our communities in the US:
|No entrance on holidays and Shabbat|
Beware of Camel Crossing near Mamshit--also visual signs with picture of camel
|Street signs in 3 languages, Hebrew, Arabic, and English |
The letter "Q" not followed by a "U"
|Bread on a fence post|
|A crow pecking at a bag of bread on top of the plastic bottle recycling cage|